Line of Sight
For years, the role of the line manager has been something of a mystery. For those working in internal communication, the line manager is sometimes seen as a barrier to effective communication throughout an organisation.
We all need an anchor point in our organisation. Something we tether to. This could be a person or a location, but it’s about having a point of connection.
Are line managers an anchor point? Do we need line managers? What is their role today? We teamed up with research and data experts, SocialOptic, to explore these questions.
We identified 12 insights that you need to know about line managers in 2021. Here are five key findings:
The key things about line managers that we need to be aware of when looking at internal communication, organisational design and training.
- More experienced managers know their weaknesses
- Internal communication is not good enough
- Line managers aren’t listening
- Matrix management has an impact on happiness
- Empowerment is not the same as autonomy.